Monday, June 20, 2016

Apricot Oysters

185g butter or margarine
250g dried apricots
2 eggs
125g cornflour
375g S.R. flour
125g sugar

Method: Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs, then fold in flour. Roll out and cut into small rounds (approx. 5 cm rounds). Place an apricot on each round then cut out more rounds to place on top. Bake in moderate oven for 10 mins. When cool ice with white icing.

Source: Mantle of Safety Cookbook 2 (The Port Augusta Women's Air Branch Auxillary of the Royal Flying Doctor Service of Australia, c1987), p.143.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have a photo of these? My Nanna used to make something that sounds similar and we grew up in Whyalla so I'd love to know if it's the same. She has dementia now and can't remember the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm afraid I don't have a picture, as I've not tried these. They sound delicious, though I wonder if soaking the apricots might been even better. There is another recipe in 'Possum Pie, Beetroot Beer and Lamingtons: Australian Family Recipes 1868 to 1950' which suggests soaking, and which I see came from a cornflour packet recipe, so may have been well known in its day (no photo in the book though). I hope this link works: https://books.google.com.au/books?id=Kcf5K_RpwMAC&pg=PA1260&lpg=PA1260&dq=%22apricot+oysters%22&source=bl&ots=cJlibL_ADS&sig=ACfU3U2nYXZh360KReVaIIlAq76AF3wIMw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjumNqrpu3gAhVBfisKHeipD78Q6AEwCnoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=%22apricot%20oysters%22&f=false

      Delete

"A BIRD IN THE BUSH IS WORTH TWO IN THE TOWN."