Thursday, October 24, 2013

Ambrosia

1 packet of marshmallows cut into 4 and soaked in 3 tbsp of sweet sherry for 20 minutes
1 cup coconut
300g sour cream
1 small can drained crushed pineapple
1 small can drained mandarin quarters

Method: Mix together, put into a serving dish and allow to stand until the next day.

Source: contributed by the Gawler Club to A Legacy of Recipes (Adelaide: Legacy Club of Adelaide, 1991), p.154.

UPDATE 26/10/2013: I made this. It tasted sort of tutti-frutti-like but my mother's description of "like Amoxicillin" could also fit.


5 comments:

  1. marshmallows soaked in sherry???
    I'm IN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Yinzerella - I have a batch, er, mulching down in the fridge as I type. My observation of the marshmallow-sherry combo would be 'slimy'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe would appear to have a long US history as Five Cup Salad: http://www.yesterdish.com/2013/10/28/five-cup-salad/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it looks pretty. Maybe suitable only for kids' parties? I notice you mentioned tutti frutti: my latest little obsession. Posted about it yesterday on my blog: http://ambradambra.wordpress.com/2013/12/16/ice-cream-you-scream-the-tutti-frutti-story/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ambra - I think this would convert to a frozen dish quite easily. I LOVED cassata in the 70s - sad one doesn't see it very often now.

    ReplyDelete

"A BIRD IN THE BUSH IS WORTH TWO IN THE TOWN."