Monday, March 16, 2015

Kidney Soup

3 sheep kidneys
1 dessertspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon cornflour
2 ozs mushrooms
1 pint stock, hot
1/2 oz lard or oil

Method: Skin kidneys and remove core. Cut into very thin slices. Mix cornflour with enough water to make a thin paste, add kidney and mix well. Fry the sliced mushrooms and the kidneys in the hot lard or oil for 3 minutes. Add the hot stock, bring to the boil and serve.

Source: A Recipe Book. St. Ann's School for Children with Special Needs (Marion, n.d. [c.1980]), p.13.

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes. You have taken me back to a time when 2 student friends and I went out to a posh,pretentious place for dinner, which we could rarely afford. We were all laying into our big plates of soup and the friends said 'this is lovely! I wonder what Soupe de Rognons means?' and I told them it was kidneys and they were horrified and no longer wanted to eat it. But didn't want to waste their money...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is one of those things that just tastes to me exactly like what it is, unfortunately. Maybe I need to go upmarket.

    ReplyDelete

"A BIRD IN THE BUSH IS WORTH TWO IN THE TOWN."